Application for the DAAD Leadership for Africa (LfA) Scholarships for East African Students in Germany – 2021/2022. Entry is now open by the DAAD in Germany.
The scholarship programme “Leadership for Africa” (LfA) aims to support the academic qualification and advancement of young refugees and national scholars from Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia and South-Sudan at higher education institutions in Germany. In times of conflicts and displacement in various African countries, this programme intends to contribute to the education of future leaders, who will be essential for the reconstruction and / or further development of their home countries. “Leadership for Africa” offers scholarships for studies in Germany to qualified applicants in all fields of study with the exception of public health, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, the arts and architecture. All “Leadership for Africa” scholarship holders benefit from a complementary study programme in good governance, civil society and sustainable project management. The mandatory programme with several attendance phases each year has to be completed in addition to the regular studies.
Scholarship to complete an M.A. or M.Sc. degree in Germany to qualified applicants in all fields of study except for public health, medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, the arts and architecture.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
DAAD LEADERSHIP FOR AFRICA (LFA) SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY
The programme targets two different groups.
1) Highly qualified refugees who hold refugee status and fulfil the necessary qualifications for Master’s studies in Germany. Applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Holding refugee status in their host countries, being granted before 17.05.2021.
- Country of asylum has to be either Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree at least at the time of arrival in Germany.
2) Highly qualified graduates from Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania. Applicants must fulfil the following conditions:
- Citizenship of Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania
- Country of residence is Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan or Tanzania at the time of application.
- Completed Bachelor’s degree at least at the time of arrival in Germany.
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree which qualifies to study for a master at an officially recognized university in Germany.
- A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of at least 2nd class upper division level is required.
- As a rule, not more than 6 years should have passed since the completion of the last academic degree.
- Good English or good German language skills.
- Notification of admission from the German host university for the desired master study programme; Please note that the applicant itself is responsible for ensuring to apply for admission at the host university by the due date. If notification of admission or the application process itself is not yet available at the time of application, it must be subsequently submitted before the scholarship-supported study begins.
- A Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD is only valid if you have been admitted to a master study programme at a public German Institute for Higher Education.
- The language of instruction in study programmes in Germany is usually German, or in international programmes English or German and English.
- To be admitted to a programme, one is therefore usually required to submit an appropriate language certificate (e.g. DSH or TestDaF if the language of instruction is German).
- The necessary language skills for the desired field of study have to be proven at the latest by the start of study program. Suitable proof of necessary language skills or the ability to acquire them within the language course has to be submitted with the application documents.
- Generally, the possession of necessary language skills will be assumed, if proof of knowledge of German level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and/or English corresponding to IELTS band 6 or TOEFL (550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based) is submitted.
DAAD LEADERSHIP FOR AFRICA (LFA) SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Submission of applications
- Applications have to be submitted via the DAAD portal [daad.de/go/en/stipa57562806]
- Applications submitted through other channels or to other authorities will not be considered.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
The application is to be sent online only through the DAAD portal. Please note that the “Application portal” tab in the scholarship database only appears while the current application period is running. Once the application deadline is expired, the portal for this programme is not accessible until next year’s application period.
Please note that all documents must be uploaded in the portal. Incomplete applications will be formally rejected and will be excluded from the application process.
- DAAD application form duly completed (available on the DAAD Portal)
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages) containing information about the applicant’s academic career to date and current or previous employers. (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu)
- Letter of Motivation (1-3 pages) containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for the choice of degree programme and for wishing to participate in the programme.
- DAAD Form “Information about your preferred master programmes” duly completed (please specify at least 3 Master´s programmes) and proof of contact to the universities of the desired master programmes. Please be aware that DAAD can´t pay tuition fees. This should be taken into consideration while deciding for the master programmes.”
- Proof of necessary language skills.
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted at least at the time of arrival in Germany if studies have not been completed at the time of application.
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of grading system (Transcript of Records).
- A summary of your undergraduate project or thesis (e.g. Bachelor´s thesis) (1 page). If your undergraduate studies did not include a final project or thesis, please upload a short explanation instead.
- Copy of school-leaving certificate which entitles holders to study at a university in the home country (with all individual grades). German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language (points 6 to 8).
- Copies of the applicant’s passport and copies of the applicant’s passport biodata page and other documents containing
information about the applicant and their current residence status. If applicable: UNHCR registration.
- Recommendation letter(s) by a university professor.
- Additional documents that might be relevant for your application (e.g. proof of internships, proof of employment).
- If already existing a valid admission to a Master’s degree programme at a public German Institute of Higher Education.
The closing date for the DAAD LfA scholarship is July 2nd, 2021.