Application for the Data Science Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in USA – 2020/2021. Entry is now open at the Columbia University in USA.
The Data Science Institute’s mission is 1. Advance the state of the art in data science 2. Transform all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science 3. Ensure the responsible use of data for the benefit of society. Appointments for the second cohort of DSI Fellows start on/around July 1, 2020, with guaranteed funding for two years. In addition to a competitive salary package, DSI Fellows will also be provided with a research expenditure budget of that can be used for conference travel, computing equipment, and/or other research-related costs.
The Data Science Institute at Columbia University is a world-leading institution in research and education in the theory and practice of the emerging field of data science. Started in 2012, it is now a university-level institute representing over 250 affiliated faculties from 12 different schools across campus. Data science literally touches every corner of the university.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
DATA SCIENCE INSTITUTE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- US applicants are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
- For the DSI Post-Doctoral Fellows Program, we seek candidates who are recent Ph.D. graduates and have explicit interests in advancing and/or applying data science to other domains. Prior experience in data science is not required.
- They are especially looking for candidates with the courage and interest to learn a new field, be part of a select like-minded cohort of fellows, and along with Columbia University DSI members, help define the field of data science for the long-term future. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities.
DATA SCIENCE INSTITUTE PROGRAM APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The candidate should identify two-five names of potential mentors who are current Columbia faculty members. A good place to look for mentors would be the list of DSI faculty affiliates but candidates are welcome to look beyond this list.
If you are interested in applying data science to a specific domain, we encourage you to identify mentors from both a foundational area (applied mathematics, computer science, electrical engineering, machine learning, optimization, statistics, etc.) and a domain area. Using your input, the DSI will ensure the best possible match of a mentor(s) for you.
Evaluation of applications by a review committee will start after December 1, 2019, and continue until the positions are filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible and preferably before December 1, 2019.
Application must include:
- A cover letter that explains your motivation for applying to this program and indicates your choice of mentors;
- A curriculum vitae (including a list of publications);
- A brief research statement that summarizes current research interests, past accomplishments, and future research goals. It should contain a short proposal for the research activities you plan to do as a DSI Fellow, including a schedule with milestones;
- Up to three representative research papers;
- Three letters of reference submitted directly by the recommends
- [Optional] A letter from a potential mentor indicating an interest in your candidacy and your proposed research activities, submitted directly
- Only applications that have been submitted (with the International Office and registered on the website of the scholarship) before December 1, 2019 will be considered.
Click here For more information and inquiries OR leave a comment below