Application for the International PhD Fellowship Program in Switzerland – 2019/2020 Entry is now open at the Biozentrum University of Basel in Switzerland.
The Biozentrum encourages talented, ambitious and highly motivated young scientists to apply to the Biozentrum Basel International Ph.D. Program. The “Fellowships for Excellence” cover the salary of the fellows for three years (including rotations). Should the PhD thesis exceed this time, group leaders and fellows are expected to together identify alternative funding. In addition, other incentives are offered to “Fellowships for Excellence” PhD students to support their scientific and personal growth. Currently the following perks are in place (annual changes may apply) A personal, annual stipend, e.g. to allow attendance of meetings, acquisition of books or computers (currently CHF 6’000 total for 3 years), Preferential registration for some courses in the Biozentrum Graduate Teaching program. Yearly study trip to a city with ties to Siemens, e.g. Berlin, Munich, St. Petersburg, Scientific meetings and networking opportunities with current “Fellowships for Excellence” students and alumni, Personal certificate of acceptance into the “Fellowships for Excellence” program, Support for the preparation of the personal CV and postdoctoral application by Biozentrum faculty members in the “Fellowships for Excellence” committee and financial support for travel to postdoctoral interviews at the end of the PhD thesis.
The Biozentrum is the largest department at the University of Basel’s Faculty of Science. The primary focus of this interdisciplinary institute is basic Molecular and Biomedical research and teaching.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
INTERNATIONAL PHD FELLOWSHIP ELIGIBILITY
Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- International students can apply for these fellowships.
- This program offers prestigious PhD fellowships that are awarded on a competitive basis, provide direct entry into the Biozentrum PhD program and offer the fellows a unique rotation-based selection of a research group of their own choice and a number of other incentives.
- Before enrollment, applicants must either already hold or anticipate to receive a university degree that qualifies them for a PhD program at the University of Basel (MSc, Diploma, etc.). In exceptional cases, outstanding students with a BSc degree are also eligible to apply to the “Fellowships for Excellence” program; they however will have to pass additional courses at the Biozentrum after acceptance. PhD students who already have enrolled at the Biozentrum or plan to start their PhD thesis before September 1 of the same year as the open call are not eligible to apply to the “Fellowships for Excellence” program.
- Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- For the application, electronic copies of the diploma/MSc degree with grades and transcripts as pdf files, a CV or scientific résumé (maximum one page, pdf format), a description of research interests in general and one with a specific focus on a potential PhD thesis at the Biozentrum as well as the names and contact information of 2 referees from the candidate’s previous academic environment (usually faculty members) are required.
INTERNATIONAL PHD FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Within that time, candidates can submit an online application. For the application, electronic copies of the diploma/MSc degree with grades and transcripts as pdf files, a CV or scientific résumé (maximum one page, pdf format), a description of research interests in general and one with a specific focus on a potential PhD thesis at the Biozentrum as well as the names and contact information of 2 referees from the candidate’s previous academic environment (usually faculty members) are required.
Application must include:
- The referees will be contacted automatically and will be asked for an online evaluation as well as a reference letter. Further information about the application procedure will be made available to the candidates upon registration and submission of their application.
- Only applications that have been submitted (with the International Office and registered on the website of the scholarship) before Decembre 15, 2019 will be considered.
Click here For more information and inquiries OR leave a comment below