Application for the IUCEA World Bank Masters Scholarships For East Africans – 2019/2020 Entry is now open for students at all eligible sectors and Universities/ACEs offering postgraduate training in the listed priority areas.
The World Bank is partnering with eight Governments in Eastern and Southern Africa in an innovative project with the aim of improving the quality of training and research in higher education and reducing the skill gaps in key development priority areas. The Eastern and Southern Africa Higher Education Centers of Excellence (ACE II) Project supports the governments of Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia in strengthening selected African Centers of Excellence (ACEs) to deliver quality post-graduate education and build collaborative research capacity in the following priority areas: (i) Industry, (ii) Agriculture, (iii) Health, (iv) Education, and (v) Applied Statistics.The ACE II Project implements three components, namely (i) strengthening the 24 higher education institutions into regional ACEs in Eastern and Southern Africa in a set of defined regional priority areas (US$ 140 million); (ii) providing capacity building support to these ACEs through regional activities (US$3 million); and (iii) supporting coordination and management of the implementation of components (i) and (ii) (US$5 million).
To encourage the participation of young African female students at postgraduate level, IUCEA wishes to implement a Fellowship Program aimed at providing competitive Masters Scholarships to academically deserving future talents to promote regional female student mobility. Eligible female applicants who can demonstrate interest and ability in the priority areas are encouraged to apply for the 30 Fellowships available for the 2019/2020 academic year.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
The provided financial support for each Fellowship Program will cover:
- University tuition fees: Approximately USD 3,000 per year (payable directly to the Host University according to an official invoice)
- Stipend: USD 800 per month to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation, medication and settlement expenses
- Research: USD 4,800 to support student research, payable upon approval of the research proposal
- Allowance: USD 2,000 one-off allowance to cover visa, laptop, and books
- Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of Host University
IUCEA WORLD BANK MASTERS SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY
Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- Be a female national of one of ACE II participating countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia) or Burundi
- Be under the age of thirty-five (35) years
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree from a reputable university in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours
- Have obtained admission from an ACE outside one’s own country of current nationality to study full-time in any of the priority disciplines of the ACE II Project: (i) STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) or Industry, (ii) Agriculture, (iii) Health, (iv) Education, and (v) Applied Statistics; and
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards, if any.
- The Fellowship Program will provide support in the following broad areas of activities:
- Applied Statistics
IUCEA WORLD BANK MASTERS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
To apply for this Fellowship, interested candidates are advised to fill in the application form, attach all requested documents, and send by e-mail to [email protected] with a copy to [email protected]. All applications must be received not later than 5.00 PM East African Time on June 30, 2019. For proof of eligibility, an applicant should ensure that the following is provided:
- Completed application form;
- Recent passport-size photograph;
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees;
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts;
- Certified copies of passport or national identity card indicating citizenship;
- Copy of admission letter from one of the host universities (please refer to the attached table on Countries, ACEs, and Universities); and
- Two (2) reference letters with contact details.
Click here For more information and inquiries OR leave a comment below