NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ADMISSION GUIDELINES AND FORMS
Application for admission may be made at any time after completion of the junior year of high school. Applications are considered on a competitive basis as related to test scores, academic history (high school and college), academic and professional references, and an essay.
Applicants who submit complete applications and supporting materials by the deadlines will meet the priority deadlines.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY APPLICATION STEPS AND REQUIREMENTSAll students are required to submit the following items prior to the deadline date:
Freshmen ApplicantsKindly follow the steps below for a successful application Step 1: Start and Complete the Common Application Online Step 2: Gather and Submit Necessary Documents which includes:
- Official score reports (see NYU’s standardized testing requirements).
- An audition or portfolio for specific artistic program applicants to the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development and Tisch School of the Arts. For applicants to these programs, testing is optional and a required audition or portfolio can be submitted in place of standardized testing:
- Steinhardt requires an audition or portfolio for all applicants to the Music Department with the exception of Educational Theatre, and a portfolio for those applying to Studio Art.
- Tisch requires an audition or portfolio for applicants to all programs with the exception of Interactive Media Arts.
- For programs that require an audition or portfolio, we strongly recommend you submit your application one month in advance to ensure ample time to prepare your audition or portfolio.
- English language testing if you have not completed at least 3 years of study where English is the sole language of instruction at the time of application submission and English is not your native language.
- Official transcripts of all college work that you have received academic credit for.
- The Common Application Mid Year Report with updated transcript. This should show your first-semester senior year grades. Have your counsellor submit the report by March 1 through the Common Application.
- The Common Application is required for students applying as transfers to our New York campus. Please ensure that you complete the Common Application for Transfer Students rather than First-Years. Currently, NYU Abu Dhabi and NYU Shanghai do not accept transfer students.
- Official secondary/high school transcript (or General Education Diploma) with graduation date, regardless of when you graduated.
- Official college/university transcripts from all institutions you have attended.
- The Common Application Instructor Evaluation form and letter of recommendation completed by a college professor, or a direct supervisor if it has been more than a year since you were last enrolled in classes.
- Many of our programs have additional requirements, which may include an audition, portfolio, or prerequisite courses. Please carefully review the additional program requirements for your school, college, or program.
- Nonrefundable $80.00 application fee.
Application Procedure Portal of Other Applicants
- >>>The New York University, NYU Graduate Application Procedures
- >>>The New York University, NYU Application Procedures For Military & Veteran Applicants
- >>>The New York University, NYU Homeschooled Applicants Application Procedures
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY APPLICATION FEE
- New York University
- Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- 383 Lafayette Street
- New York, NY 10003
Application & Testing Deadlines
Freshman Admission Timeline
If you’re a high school student, you should apply early in your senior year; admission will be much more competitive if you apply later.
To meet a deadline, your application must be complete, which means we have received all required material.
|Early Decision I||November 1||December 15|
|Early Decision II||January 1||February 15|
|Regular Decision||January 1||April 1|
Transfer Admission Timeline
|Spring Transfer||November 1||November – January|
|Summer/Fall External Transfers||April 1||May – June|
|Summer/Fall Internal Transfers||March 1||April – May|