Application for the WISE – Futures PhD Scholarship for international students at Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania for 2019 entry is now open.
The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST), is one in a net-work of Pan-African Institutes of Science and Technology located across the African continent. The specific objectives of establishing the AISTs fall under three broad headings, namely; human capital development; improvement of Africa’s education system to enable achievement of quality education for all; and knowledge generation, incubation, and dissemination. The AISTs are being developed as high quality, research intensive institutions with rigorous training programmes of international standards in SETI to meet the technology development needs of SSA.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
WISE-FUTURES PHD SCHOLARSHIPS ELIGIBILITY
Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- These scholarships are open to regional (Africa) students. Female applicants will be given priority consideration for the scholarship.
- One page motivation letter.
- Academic transcripts and certificates in relevant fields.
- NM-AIST admission letter or proof of completed application for admission to NM-AIST (In case you do not have admission letter, please apply admission through www.nm-aist.ac.tz).
- A recommendation letter from the current employer and/or previous supervisor / educator.
- Evidence of peer reviewed journal publications.
- A maximum of 2-page of Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- 3000 words (minimum) research concept note fitting the key areas of WISE – Futures: water and sanitation, water resources, and energy. Concept notes should be in one of these areas: Fecal sludge emptying system, characterization, and treatment, Decentralized waste water treatment and resource recovery, micro-hydro power and micro-wind energy turbine design, Capacitive deionization stack design for desalination, Solar energy for different applications, Water resources management, Groundwater quality and flow system analysis, Water productivity and irrigation development, Climate impact modeling (downscaling and prediction of change), Hydropower development, Urban water management, Water supply, Solar PV design, Membrane design for water purification, Performance improvement of Tanzanian gas power plants, Smart grid, and distributed urban system transformation (DUST) (the group of students can work on this, i.e., water purification system, energy, irrigation, waste water treatment, etc.)
- Incomplete documents or failure to follow instructions will automatically lead to disqualification.
- Please note that only successful candidates will be informed for further instructions on reporting time to commence studies at NM-AIST.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
WISE-FUTURES PHD SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Send your applications with all required documents via email: [email protected]. Your email subject should mention your nationality, name, and research area number as given in number 8 of eligibility criteria.
- Only applications that have been submitted (with the International Office and registered on the website of the scholarship) before November 30th, 2018 will be considered for the scholarship.
Click here For more information and enquiries OR leave a comment below