This article contains the complete compilation of all the medical schools in France as of the year 2020.
Medical education in France is administered by the Unités de formation et de recherche de médecine(UFR). This training takes a minimum of 9 years after the baccalauréat and concludes with a thesis. Upon successful presentation of the thesis, the medical student is awarded a diplôme d’études spécialisées, based on speciality. High-achievers are awarded a diplôme d’études spécialisées complémentaire.
French medical training is one of the longest study paths in French higher education. It has to do with both theoretical and practical training, with a gradual deviation from theory at the beginning, to more practical aspects as training continues.
Even if only less than 20% of French medical students can go till the second year of medical school and have a high need of physicians, France is one of the countries in Europe and beyond with a lot of medical Universities. Even if France is one of the world’s most popular study abroad destinations, the access to medical studies for foreign students is limited and very competitive. Transfer students must pass the first-year medical exam. Regardless of their level of medical training, international students wishing to obtain a medical degree in France must pass the examination given at the end of the first year of medical study. Students who pass the exam may then transfer to their appropriate level in the curriculum.
Before listing the medical schools France possesses, let’s have a closer look at how doctors are trained in France.
Medical education in France is made up of three cycles that are provided by 34 universities. The cycles are:
- First cycle (PCEM) — Two It has to do with general scientific training not delivered in hospitals. There is a competitive exam at the end of the first year. It is highly selective and charts the students towards research, clinical care, biology, etc. The number of students admitted is set by government regulation.
- Second cycle (DCEM) — Four The first year is devoted to general medicine training. The three following years are dedicated to pathology and therapeutics. Courses are given in the medical schools and hospitals.
- Third cycle — Students reach the third cycle only after being certified, and then have to choose between two options:
- “Résidanat” or general medicine third cycle: Two-year program of theoretical and practical training (rotations in hospitals and a training course with a general practitioner). After the training, the student receives a state diploma of general medicine doctor.
- “Internat” or specialized medicine third cycle: Four- to five-year program which leads to a competitive exam in such fields as medicine specialities, surgery specialities, anaesthesia, industrial medicine, public health, biology and psychiatry. This specialized studies program culminates with a state diploma of medical doctor or DES. DES holders can improve aspects of their speciality by taking Complementary Specialized Studies programs.
LIST OF MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN FRANCE AND THEIR FACULTIES
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Faculté de Médecine
- The University of Burgundy (Université Bourgogne, U.F.R. de Médecine ): established in 1722 , located in Dijon, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté, France.
- The University of Caen Normandy (Université Caen Basse-Normandie, Faculté de Médecine ): is a public university in Caen France, established in the year
- Lille Catholic University (Université Catholique de Lille, Faculté Libre de Médecine) (FLM): a private university, established on the 28th of October,
- Claude Bernard University Lyon 1 (Université Claude Bernard, Faculté de Médecine de Lyon-Nord): established in 1971 and located in Lyon, France. Claude Bernard Lyon 1 university provides teaching in the fields of science and technology, health and Lyon 1 also helps each of its students to personally prepare their career path. Having established a strong intellectual reputation both in France and throughout the world, Lyon 1 is continually pushing the boundaries of knowledge, promoting education through research and constantly encouraging dialogue between science and society. Its campuses, located in the heart of an outstanding region, are lively places with plenty of activities, enabling students to develop and achieve a sense of personal fulfilment: a University to live life to the fullest.
- Université Claude Bernard, Faculté de Médecine Grange-Blanche Université Claude Bernard, Faculté de Médecine Laënnec
- Université d’Aix Marseille – Université de la Méditerranée, Faculté de Médecine de Marseille
- Université d’Angers, Faculté de Médecine
- Université d’Auvergne, Faculté de Médecine Clermont-Ferrand
- Université de Bretagne Occidentale, École de Médecine de Brest
- Université de Limoges, Faculté de Medicine
- Université de Lyon 1, Faculté de Médecine Alexis Carrel
- Université de Nice – Sophia Antipolis, Faculté de Médecine
- Université de Picardie Jules Verne, Faculté de Médecine
- Université de Poitiers, Faculté de Médecine et de Pharmacie
- Université de Reims at Champagne-Ardenne, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Denis Diderot, Faculté de Médecine Lariboisière Saint-Louis Université Denis Diderot, Faculté de Médecine Xavier Bichat
- Université du Droit et de la Santé, Faculté de Médecine Henri Warembourg de Lille
- Université Franche-Comté, U.F.R. des Sciences médicales et pharmaceutiques
- Université François Rabelais, Faculté de Medicine
- Université Henri Poincaré (UHP) – Nancy I, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Jean Monnet – Saint Etienne, Faculté de Médecine Jacques Lisfranc
- Université Joseph Fourier, Faculté de Médecine de Grenoble
- Université Louis Pasteur – Strasbourg, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Montpellier I, Faculté de Médecine de Montpellier –Nîmes
- Université Nantes, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Paris Nord, U.F.R. de Médecine et de Biologie Humaine “Léonard de Vinci” Université Paris Val de Marne, Faculté de Médecine de Créteil
- Université Paris-Sud, Faculté de Medicine
- Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculté de Médecine Broussais Hotel-Dieu Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculté de Médecine Pitié-Salpêtrière Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculté de Médecine Saint-Antoine
- Université René Descartes, Faculté de Médecine;
- Université Rennes I, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Rouen, U.F.R. Médecine
- Université Scientifique et Médicale de Grenoble, Faculté de Médecine
- Université Toulouse III – Université Paul Sabatier, Faculté de Médecine Toulouse – Rangueil Université Toulouse III, U.F.R. Sciences Médicales de Toulouse-Purpan
- Université Victor Segalen, U.F.R. 1 – Faculté de Médecine Paul Broca Université Victor Segalen, U.F.R. 2 – Faculté de Médecine Hyacinthe Vincent Université Victor Segalen, U.F.R. 3 – Faculté de Médecine Victor Pachon