This article contains information on how to gain access to the Turnitin Portal (https://www.turnitin.com) also known as E-Learning Management System (LMS).
The Turnitin seeks to improve learning processes for its student. Therefore, it is pleased to announce the adoption of a Learning Management System (LMS), that would make it easy for students to attend classes online, get lecture notes and submit assignments anywhere and anytime.
Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to engage students in the writing process, provide personalized feedback, and assess student progress over time. Turnitin is used by more than 30 million students at 15,000 institutions in 140 countries.
This E-learning platform is to helps lecturers of the Turnitin in uploading their courses and course materials (ie. course outlines, lecture notes/PowerPoint presentations, recommended reading books/journals, videos, forums) on the E-learning platform to enable students to access them for continuing academic work. A series of short video tutorials will be made available in the coming days to further help our lecturers in uploading their courses.
STEPS ON HOW TO ACCESS AND ENROL FOR THE TURNITIN PORTAL SYSTEM.
The following is a guide on how to enrol for the Turnitin System.
- Open your internet browser e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
- Go to Turnitin Login Portal
- Select Log in
- Once logged in, scroll down the page to Course Categories. Select your School
- Select your course or check for your course in your department.
- You will then see the content for your course.
Joining an account as an instructor
To join Turnitin as an Instructor, you must first receive an email from Turnitin on behalf of your account administrator. If you haven’t received this email yet, ask your account administrator to add you to your institution’s account.
- Check your email for the subject line ‘Set up Your Turnitin Instructor Account‘.
- Follow the Get Started button to do just that.
- From the Account Setup page, enter your email address and Last Name.
The information you use during the account setup is provided to us by your Administrator. We ask you to confirm it here for security reasons. Getting an error message? Check with your account administrator that they’ve spelled your name correctly!
- Back to your email inbox! This time look out for the subject line ‘Create your Turnitin account‘.
- Follow the link you’ll find in the email.
- Create a password for use with your account. Your password must be between 6 and 12 characters in length, containing at least one letter and one number.
- You’re all set. You can now use the details you’ve just created to log in to Turnitin.
Forgot Your Turnitin Login Password?
- All registered students have access to Turnitin. To login follow the same steps as above.
- To reset passwords, click on forgot password and then enter the email address you used to create your user profile. Click “next” when you are done.
- If you do not know the email address for your account, ask your instructor (or Turnitin administrator, if you are an instructor) to look up your email address.
In cases where students do not have access to any device or data, other options are being explored, including the possibility of using the South African Post Office to deliver paper-based material to students. Additional support will be made available for students when contact teaching resumes, and particularly for students who will have had difficulty in transitioning to online learning. It may be necessary for face-to-face lectures to be extended through the September and December vacation breaks and for some cohorts, to extend the academic programme into 2021.
Students who have queries related to the academic programme should contact their respective schools. Students who do not have access to adequate mobile computing devices and cannot secure them elsewhere should contact their Faculty representatives.