Home Student & Career Tips How to Apply for Student Loan in Europe

How to Apply for Student Loan in Europe


This article contains information on How to apply for a student loan in Europe in 2020.


How to Apply for Student Loan in Europe


Do you intend to go to college or the University and you do not have sufficient funds needed to pay your fees and also maintain real-time stay in school? This shouldn’t bug you anymore because there are ways you can go applying for a student loan. Majority of students need loans in order to be able to pay for their tuition fee and study their dream course in order to grow their career path. Of course, these loans are going to be paid back to the institution in which the student borrowed it from.


European students studying in England are eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of about £9,250 to make up for the fees charged by the university or college they must have been admitted into. These students must have lived in the European Economic Area(EEA) or Switzerland for at least three years before the commencement of their study year. Students who borrow loans will have to pay back the loan, but this is done only when they are through with their course of study or left their course of study and their income is over a certain amount. Then the amount of money they will pay-back will be based on how much they earn per month and not based on how much they borrow.

The student must inform the institution where he or she must have borrowed money from on his or her movements, just in case he or she needs to travel out of town for a while or whatsoever the reason may be. Depending on which country they choose to live in, the amount they have to earn before they start to repay might be different. Interest is charged from the day the first payment is made until the loan is repaid in full or annulled.

Tuition Fee Loans for EU Students

1.  Undergraduate

For EU students who have lived within the EU for three successive years are eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan.

  • Full-time students get loan up to £9,250.
  • Full-time at a private university or college get a loan up to £6,165.
  • Part-time get a loan up to £6,935.
  • Part-time at a private university or college get a loan up to £4,625.
2.  Postgraduate

The EU postgraduate students are eligible to apply for government-backed loans worth up to £10,000. The funding is available for both taught and research postgraduate programmes. It covers all disciplines and subjects and is available for full-time, part-time and distance learning students.

You should follow these steps to ensure you get your money in time so you could start your course. The quickest way to go about this include:

Online application.

This is the fastest and easiest way a student can go about applying for a loan. This process could take up to 6 weeks in order to process your application. So you already know what this implies – apply for a student loan as soon as possible. If you apply late, then you should expect your money to get to you late. Do not be anxious if you do not have a confirmed place at College or the University; you can apply using your preferred choice and just change your information details later on if need be.

Prerequisite for completing your application.

You will definitely need your passport, National insurance number and bank details for proper identification when filling your application form. So, ensure you have these documents. Also, if in case you do not have a bank account bearing your own name, then you will need to go to a bank and open an account for yourself. The reason for this is to ensure your loan gets to you into your own bank account. It wouldn’t make any sense to have your money sent into someone else’s bank account and there is bad news after that. To avoid such, you are advised to provide your personal banking details. This is applicable when applying for student maintenance loans.


This application is usually a swift and easy one, wouldn’t take much of your time and in less than 30 minutes you are done with the application.

Ensure you send in any document required of you.

Some student loans may be based on your household income- the earning capacity of your parents, guardian or partner. If you are applying for this, then some information about your parents, guardian or partner will need to be provided. Do not forget, your student loan application can not be accessed until you have provided all of the information required.

Therefore, you should not hesitate in sending in the required evidence in order to avoid a delay in getting your loan.


Types of Loan an EU student can obtain

1.  Maintenance Loan for EU Students

A maintenance loan is also available to help students with living costs while studying.

  • EU students who have lived in the UK for at least five years are eligible to receive maintenance support.
  • Where a student lives and studies will determine the amount of money he or she will be given.
  • Maintenance loans have to be paid back, but not until a student has graduated and is earning over £25,000 a year. This makes it easy to pay-back.
2.  Additional Financial Support

Extra financial help and support is also available to students if they:

  • Have children.
  • Have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty.
  • Are studying nursing, midwifery or other nursing related courses.

For the new EU Student loans.

  • Download an application pack available on www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms then use the form finder to search the forms you need.
  • Send in proof of identity, if need be.
  • You will receive a letter confirming how much funding you are eligible for, usually within 6 weeks.

In order to apply for this loan, you must:

  • Be an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen.
  • As stated at the beginning of this article, students must have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for at least three years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.
  • Be studying a course that qualifies for student finance
  • Be living in the UK on the first day of the first term of your course.

Also, your course of study must lead to a recognised higher education qualification. The most popular instances include:

  • first degree (such as a BSc, BA, or BEd).
  • foundation degree.
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE).
  • Higher National Diploma (HND).
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC).
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE).
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT).
  • Certificate of Higher Education.
  • integrated master’s.

Just in case you are not sure if your course qualifies, you should check with your university or college.

Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on  OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.

Leave a Reply