This article contains a detailed list of top professions that needs certification.
Professional certification can be found in almost every industry today, ranging from Medicine, Engineering, Banking and Finance, ICT are just a few to list from a wide range of professions that have voluntary /mandatory certifications.
CERTIFICATIONS IN VARIOUS FIELDS AND ITS IMPORTANCE
IMPORTANCE OF CERTIFICATIONS
These days, just acquiring a degree certificate is not enough to position one to landing a well paying job in most industries. Below are some importance of having a professional certification.
It helps for career advancement. Certification helps employers evaluate potential new hires, analyze job performance, evaluate employees, select contractors, and motivate employees to enhance their skills and knowledge. Certification gives recognition of competency, shows commitment to the profession, and helps with job advancement. There has been an explosive growth in professional certification.
Certifications show that a person has gained skills in a particular field. This is because Certification programs focus on the knowledge and skills needed to perform real-world job responsibilities.
The Professional Certification provides a vehicle that equips one with key skills and talents to be internationally recognized and be seen as a “thought leader”.
However, below are professions that require Certification.
LIST OF PROFESSIONS THAT NEEDS CERTIFICATION
1. HEALTH INDUSTRY
In the Healthcare sector, certifications are massively important. They ensure that caregivers meet specific standards for education and relevant skills.
The certification requirements and processes for different Healthcare careers can vary from state to state and specialty. In medicine, having a licence is quite different from Certification. While a medical personnel must be licensed to practice medicine, they can also become board certified in their specialty. However, because Healthcare professionals have an impact on patients’ health and wellness, rigorous training and standards are a necessity. This is why Certification is important in healthcare professions.
A. Medical Assistant
Typical time it takes to earn certificate: one year
If you’re interested in being a medical assistant and performing administrative, clinical and management roles in health care organizations, there are a lot of certification programs that you might want to explore.
B. Ophthalmic Medical Technician
Typical time it takes to earn a certificate is dependent on the student.
An ophthalmic medical technician takes a patient’s history and does some visual testing, and other duties, before the eye doctor comes in. Many people learn how to do this on the job, but if you want to advance your career or get more training, you’ll want to take a certificate program.
You might consider the Certified Ophthalmic Assistant certification, you might also want to get an advanced certification, such as Certified Ophthalmic Technician or Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist.
Being that Pharmacists are responsible for the following:
- Quality of medicines supplied to patients
- ensuring that the medicines prescribed to patients are suitable,
- ensuring that the supply of medicines is within the law,
- advising patients about medicines, including how to take them, what reactions may occur and advise other healthcare professionals about safe and effective medicines use, and safe and secure supply of medicines,etc, this shows that pharmacy is a very crucial and one of the top professions that requires a certification but before that, a person in the field of pharmacy must be registered with the General Pharmacy Commission (GPhC).
There are numerous Certifications in the Pharmacy Profession. Some of them are:
- Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Certification being one of such Certifications, is a voluntary process intended to demonstrate expertise in a specific pharmacy specialty.
- Being an MTM pharmacist involves more than assessing medications for indication, safety, effectiveness and adherence issues. It also requires patient counseling that factors in the patient’s emotional state, patient’s cultural state and financial state
- To get Certified as MTM pharmacists, or Board Certified Medication Therapy Management Specialists (BCMTMSTM),you must successfully pass a rigorous and valid examination established by the National Board of Medication Therapy Management. Upon passing the examination, the pharmacist will be granted Board Certification by the National Board of Medication Therapy Management. The Certification is renewable after 5 years if the active pharmacist license is maintained.
Other advanced Certifications for Pharmacists include;
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS)
- Critical Care (BCCCP)
- Geriatric Certification (CCGP)
- Nuclear Certification (BCNP)
- Nutrition Support Certification (BCNSP), etc.
D. Vocational Nurse
Typical time it takes to earn a certificate is one year.
Licensed vocational nurses are exposed to all medical duties from installing catheters to delivering medicine and starting IVs. Due to the importance of the job, it is very important to complete a certificate program for a licensed practical nurse. Generally, you’ll find these programs at universities, colleges and nursing schools.
Typical time it takes to earn certificate is dependent on the student.
These people help fit your glasses and help you choose the right contact lenses. You might be able to get a job without taking a certificate program, but some employers will always insist.
SOME CERTIFICATIONS IN MEDICINE
In the Medical profession, there are many certifications in existence:
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT)
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Certified Coding Specialist Physician-Based (CCS-P)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT),etc
2. PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSION (PMP)
The Project Management Professional (PMP) certification was created and administered by the Project Management Institute (PMI) and is one of the most recognized project management certifications available today. To become highly successful in the profession of project management, it is advisable to get a certification in project management.
This certification demonstrates that you are competent when it comes to managing projects and project teams. To get a Certification, you will be tested in five specific areas; initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing.
Before you become a certified project manager, you’ll need to have completed at least 35 hours of related training before you can take the exam. If you have a Bachelor’s degree, you’ll need 4,500 hours of project management experience while those without a degree will need 7,500 hours. Getting PMP certification takes years but there are some that take less time. It all depends on the Institute.
3. ICT INDUSTRY
The ICT has numerous careers under it and each of these has Certification programs. This industry has become highly competitive and as such, requires one to be versatile, highly skilled and experienced. Getting Certification (s) is a way to beat this competition.
Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
To take the Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) exam, you’ll be tested in four major areas; Identification, Assessment, Response & Mitigation, as well as Control Monitoring and Reporting. The CRISC has become one of the industry’s renewed focus on evaluating IT risk in business. The CRISC certification might be worth checking out, if you have the required three years experience in RISC and finds identifying and managing risk interesting.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/ COMPUTER ENGINEERING CERTIFICATIONS:
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) – Cost of certification: Application fee $50
- Cisco Certification (Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing & Switching)
- Amazon Web Service (AWS) Certified Solutions Certified Information System Auditor (CISA)
- Project Management in IT Security (PMITS)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Six Sigma Green Belt.
- Citrix Certified Professional – Virtualization (CCP-V)
- Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP)
A career in accountancy offers a range of options. Accountancy jobs include roles such as auditor, tax accountant, forensic accountant, management accountant and corporate advisor
Accountants are responsible for ensuring that the financial records of an organization is up to date, calculating payroll, preparing tax returns, and ensuring that the company complies with all financial rules and regulations.
Becoming Certified in any of the numerous fields in Accounting is a big advantage to your career.
There are several different accounting certifications. Each of them requires the passing of an exam for their specific focus.However, it is common for an accountant to hold more than one certification.
Depending on the country and state, there are different requirements for some certifications. It is, however, important to research your state’s requirements to ensure you understand what will be expected of you and the type of work the certification can get you.
TYPES OF ACCOUNTING CERTIFICATIONS
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL MANAGER
- CERTIFIED INTERNAL AUDITOR: The CIA certification is required for those in the Accounting field who wish to do external auditing. This job requires the auditing of corporate or other public businesses. It is the job of the certified Internal audit to make sure that company’s finances are properly recorded and reported.
- CERTIFIED MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANT: The CMA certification designates you as a professional in the areas of cost management, internal control auditing, decision analysis and forecasting. CMAs are often responsible for choosing and maintaining accounting information systems. They are also responsible for analyzing reports generated by the system.
- CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT: The CPA certification is the most common certification in the accounting world. It is required by almost any accounting firm or employer regardless of other certifications held. You should plan to get your CPA certification regardless of you desire to have other Certifications.
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL MANAGER: This certification is generally held by those who work with the stock market, investment planners, treasurers for companies, risk analysts, and finance educators. Most jobs for CFMs are held in the corporate world and are often a certification that comes after the general CMA certification.
- CERTIFIED FRAUD EXAMINER: They are responsible for auditing and analyzing reports in order to determine if proper reporting has been done, and all money is accounted for. Fraud accountants investigate suspected fraud.. They work with businesses and corporations to ensure laws are followed.
- ENROLLED AGENT: EAs are licensed by the federal government. They have permission to appear in place of a client in matters of taxation. They deal directly with the Internal Revenues during matters relating to either personal tax or business tax audits. They also advise and prepare taxes for both personal and business taxes.
- CERTIFIED GOVERNMENT FINANCIAL MANAGER: CGFMs work in the federal, state and local government sectors. They understand the laws and special government financial needs. Many CGFMs are responsible for advising, helping with budgets, preparing taxes, and taxes collected. This certification is difficult to obtain. Acquiring this certification makes you a leader in your field and someone who understands the unique financial needs of the government on all levels.
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER: CFPs are responsible for advising clients in matters of financial planning. They are able to look at an individual financial position and make a plan for expanding personal assets through investments and financial planning. They also advise their clients on tax laws and help them maximize their personal assets in a way that benefits their future.
Just like other professions above, Engineering is one of the top professions requiring Certification for advancement and recognition in the field. Because there are numerous branches in Engineering, there are numerous Certifications in this profession.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) PMP is an internationally recognized certification and as of across 218 countries. Project management jobs are available across all industries and departments.
- Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) An APQP certification verifies an individual’s proficient
- Six Sigma – Black Belt and a host of other certifications.
There are top professions that require one to have Certifications. Some of them have been Indicated above. For better recognition and respect, a certification is important. If your desire is to advance in your profession, getting a certification (s) the best way out especially in a competitive industry.