This article contains information on the list of senior high schools(SHS) and category A schools in Ghana for the year 2020.
Ghana operates on a 6334 educational system but there was a shift from the 6334 system to 6344 from 2007 to 2009 after which the system was reversed to the initial. The Education Service(GES) has grouped all the senior high schools(SHS) into 4 major categories. This is to help final year Junior high schools (JHS) students who have the desire to go to senior secondary school to be able to choose schools and also to know how to prepare towards getting admission in those chosen schools.
The divisions are in A, B, C, D categories. Private senior high schools, Technical and Vocational schools are not left out too. Category ‘A’ schools are known to be the best in SHS category in Ghana, followed by the ‘B’ and then the “C” and the “D” respectively. This is based on their academic performance and available facilities in the school.
The Senior High School was introduced in 2007, thereby expanding the system from three to four years which did not in any way change the curriculum regardless. Admission to Senior Senior High School is very competitive. For instance, only 150,000 students can be admitted into the 500 public and 200 private National secondary schools.
At the end of Senior High School, all students take the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination, or WASSCE of which they are required to sit for Seven or Eight subjects as the case may be. The curriculum is composed of core subjects including English language, Mathematics, integrated science such as ICT and environmental studies and social studies such as Economics, geography, history and government.
While Senior high schools are divided into Categories, it is important to note that not all Senior High Schools (SHS) are Category-A Schools.
A SHS ranking is established every year by the Statistics, Research, Information, Management and Public Relations (SRIMPR) division of the ministry of Education. In other words, based on the WASSCE results, there is always an upgrade in SHS category ranking. This implies that schools that are recorded to perform excellently in WAEC exams are being upgraded to Category-A schools.
LISTS OF SENIOR HIGH SCHOOLS IN GHANA
Ghana has several senior high schools that offer quality education. They include:
- St James Seminary Snr. High School
- Opoku Ware Snr. High School
- Wesley Girls’ High School
- St. Augustine College
- Holy Child Senior High School
- St Peters Senior High School
- Prempeh College
- Sunyani Senior High School
- St Louis Senior High School
- St Roses Senior. High School
- Pope John Senior .High School
- Presby Boys’ Senior .High School
- St .Hubert Sem Snr. High School
- Notre Dame Seminary Senior High School
- Archbishop Porter Girls’ Senior High School
- Koforidua Senior High School
- Ghana Senior High School
- Aburi Girls’ Senior High School
- Akosombo International School
- Seven Great Princess Senior High School
- Ghana Lebanon Islamic Senior High School
List of Best 100 senior high schools in Ghana
- Accra Girls Secondary School
- Christian Methodist School
- O’Reilly Secondary School
- Osu Presbyterian Secondary School
- Adisadel College
- Accra Girls Secondary School, Maamobi
- Achimota Secondary School
- Action Secondary Technical School
- Armed Forces Secondary Burma Camp
- Aquinas Secondary School, Cantonments
- Dansoman Secondary School , Dansoman
- Ebenezer Secondary School Dansoman
- Edge Hill Senior High School Awoshie
- Faith Montessori School and International College
- Holy Trinity Secondary , High Street
- Kaneshie Secondary ,Kaneshie
- La Presbyterian Senior School , La Emmaus
- Labone Secondary School, Labone
- Lincoln Community School ,Accra Ghana
- Nungua Secondary School ,Nungua Akuapem-Akropong
- Nfa Secondary School Adukrom
- Adukrom Sec.Technical School,
- Nsawam Senior High School
- Saint Martin’s Secondary School
- Akim Swedru Secondary School
- Saint Paul Technical School
- Kibi Secondary Technical School
- Okuapman SHS
- Pope John Secondary School ,Koforidua
- Yilo Krobo Secondary Commercial School
- Boso Secondary Technical School
- Asesewa Secondary School
- Akrofuom Secondary School
- Asare Bediako Secondary School, Akrokerri
- Bogwesando Secondary School, Bodwesango
- Christ the King Catholic School, Obuasi
- Dompoase Secondary School,Dompoase
- New Edubiase Secondary School, New Edubiase
- Obuasi Secondary School, Obuasi
- T.I. Ahmadiyya Senior High School ,Formena
- Adu Gyamfi Secondary School, Jamasi
- Agona Secondary School, Agona
- Konadu Yiaom Secondary School, Asaman
- Okomfo Anokye Secondary School, Wiamoase
- S.D.A Secondary School, Agona
- Tetrem Secondary School, Tetrem
- Ashaiman Secondary School, Ashaiman
- Chemu Secondary School
- Manhean Secondary School
- Our Lady Of Mercy Secondary School, Lashibi
- Presbyterian Senior Secondary School, Tema
- Tema Methodist Day Secondary School
- Mawuli Secondary School
- OLA Girls ‘Secondary School
- Saint Paul’s Secondary School,Denu
- Ketasco Secondary School
- Bishop Herman Secondary School
- Saint Mary’s Secondary School
- Anloga Secondary School
- Sogakope Secondary School
Below are some Category A schools in Ghana
- Accra Academy
- Accra Girls Senior High School
- Achimota Senior High School
- Chemu Senior High School
- St. Mary’s Senior High School
- St. Thomas Aquinas SHS
- Tema Senior High School
- St. Peter’s Mission Senior High School
- St. Andrews Senior High School
- Potsin TI Ahmadiyya Senior High School
- KNUST Senior High School
- Methodist Girls Senior High School
- Ejuraman Anglican Senior High School
- Boa Amponsem Senior High School
- St. Augustine’s Senior High School
- Koforidua Senior High School
- Kpando Senior High School
- OLA Girls Senior High School, Kenyasi
- Serwaa Kesse Girls Senior High School
- St Louis Senior High School, Kumasi
- Kumasi senior high school
- Opoku Ware Senior High School
- Prempeh Senior High School
- Brong Ahafo Region
- Berekum Presby Senior High School
- St Ann’s Girls Senior high School
- Our lady’s of Providence Senior high School
- St James Sem & senior high School, Abesim
- Sunyani Senior high School
- Notre Dame Girls Senior high School
- Adisadel College
- Holy Child School, Cape coast
- Mfantsipim School
- St Augustine’s College
- Wesley Girls Senior High School
- Mfantsiman Senior High School
- Okuapeman Senior high School
- Aburi Girls Senior high School
- St Rose’s Senior high School
- Ofori Panin Senior High School
- St Peter’s Senior High school
- Krobo Girls Senior High school
- Ghana Senior High school
- Achimota Senior High School
- St Thomas Aquinas Senior High School
- Tema Senior High School
- Tamale Senior High School
- St Charles Senior High School
- Ghana Senior High School, Temale
- Bolga Girls Senior high School
- Navrongo Senior High School
- Notre Dame Sem/Snr high School
- Bolgatanga Senior High School
- St Francis Xavier Senior High School
- Lawra Senior high School
- Nandom Senior High School
- Mawuli School
- OLA Girls Senior high School
- Bishop Herman College
- Archbishop Porter Girls School
- Ghana Senior high/Tech School(GSTS)
- Sekondi College
- St John’s Senior high School
- Fijai Senior High School
- Yaa Asantewaa Girls senior high school.
1. PETER’S MISSION SCHOOL
St. Peter’s Mission School was established in 1990 to provide an excellent and quality day and boarding education to children of Ghanaian and Foreign nationals within Ghana. Over the years, the school has experienced a rapid growth as a result of expansion in its facilities and programmes offered.
The School is of high academic standard with state of the art teaching and learning facilities. Its teaching and non-teaching staff is made up of highly qualified and dedicated individuals. It is co-educational with excellent Day and Boarding Facilities. It runs the various departments from creche to senior high.
2. HOLY CHILD HIGH SCHOOL, GHANA
Holy Child School, also known as Angel’s Hill is a renowned school that has been making waves for many years. It is a female boarding secondary institution in Cape Coast in the Central Region of Ghana .The school was established in 1946 by the Society of the Holy Child Jesus to help Catholics in the region who desired education.
In 2003, the school was ranked among the best 10 schools in Africa, producing the best overall female student in the 2003 Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSSCE) and overall best and second best for West African Senior School Examination, WASSCE, 2017.
The school has always strived to provide holistic education for females so that they can attain an enviable height in the society and become “Women of Substance”. The school motto is ” Facta Non Verba” which simply means Actions Not Words. Indeed, they have been working in line with the school motor.
3. ANDREWS SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
This school was established by Dr. Richard Kofi Asiedu in the year 2005. The High School was started at a dilapidated building with a humble beginning of just 25 students alongside 4 tutors. Overtime, the school started growing. The school grew in all aspects and in 2015 the Ghana Education Service accorded the school the status as a Grade ‘A’ Private SHS.
St. Andrews produced the highest number of candidates ever in the history of West African Examination Council Examinations, by registering 1814 candidates at a sitting,
In 2007 the school got accreditation from the Ghana Education Service (GES) and recognition from the West African Examination Council (WAEC) in the year 2011. The headmaster of the school holds a master of philosophy Degree (Mphil-Education Management) after obtaining a Bachelor of Education from the University of Cape Coast.
4. POTSIN TI AHMADIYYA SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Potsin TI Ahmadiyya Senior High School, located Gomoa Potsin, near Winneba in the Central Region of Ghana, was established in 1972 under the Nusrat Jahan Scheme. It however became a Government Assisted School in 1984.
The school has excelled over the years in academic, sports and discipline.The school has a qualified and professional workforce.
5. KNUST SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Established 1961, KNUST Senior High School which was formerly known as the Technology Secondary School until 2007 is a public high school established in February 1961 by the then-vice chancellor of the University Of Science and Technology Dr. R.P. Baffour. The school started as the “Baby” ofl Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology and was originally set up to give secondary school education to the children of the University staff.
The school later opened up admission to the general public. KNUST Senior High School is a Class A Institution according to the West African Examination Council and the Ghana Education Service, it is a coeducational school. The school offers the following courses: General arts, Visual arts, Business Engineering Science, Home Science and General sciences.
6. EJURAMAN ANGLICAN SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
Just like many schools, Ejuraman Anglican SHS started off on a small note in 1973 with twenty students. As a result of some start up problems the school collapsed after a few months. It was revived again in 1976 with forty-five students. Due to administrative and financial problems the school collapsed again the second.
The introduction of the Educational Reform Programme in 1987, saw the school being re-established in January 1991 with a student population of twenty-eight, three National Service Personnel and eighteen non-teaching staff. The school was officially commissioned on 12th may, 1993. In 2004, the school was renamed “Ejuraman Anglican Secondary School” after the board of Governors request in renaming the school was approved by the Ghana Education Service.
The school is one of the oldest schools in Ghana that has stood the test of time. The vision of the school has been to empower Ghanaian with education to make them useful citizens in the country and be responsible to their families. The motor of the school is “LEARN AND APPLY”, which is exactly what the students are encouraged to do.
Ghana is one of the African countries with thousands of Senior high schools of different categories. The list can not be exhausted in this article. SHS are numerous but not all are ranked as Category-A schools. Schools ranked under this Category are schools that have been found competent judging by their performance in the West African Examination courtesy of WAEC.