This Article contains information on the Portugal Visa Application and Immigration Requirements: 2019. Portugal, officially the Portuguese Republic, is a country on the Iberian Peninsula in Southwestern Europe. It is also the westernmost country of mainland Europe.With the history of its golden era during the 15th and 16th century, and devastation in Lisbon in 1755 by an earthquake(killing an estimated 60,000 people in Lisbon alone), Portugal has so much to discover. With these interesting facts about Portugal, let’s learn more about its history, culture, people, inventions, economy and more.
Yearly, many people travel to Portugal for numerous reasons either for tourism, business, study, visit or immigration. Depending on the purpose of the trip to Portugal , there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for a Portugal Schengen visa, it is necessary to know the Portugal Schengen visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
LIST OF DOCUMENTS FOR AN PORTUGAL VISA APPLICATION
The following documents are required for the Portugal visa application:
- Download the Visa application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Portugal Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
- Schengen Travel Insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Portugal and the entire Schengen area
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Portugal and itinerary
- Booked Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Portugal
- Hotel Booking Reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Portugal
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Means of subsistence – Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Portugal.
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- No-objection certificate from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- Leave approval letter from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Portuguese Visa application.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE MOST FREQUENT PURPOSES OF THE PORTUGAL VISA APPLICATION
Portugal Tourist/Visitor Visa:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Portugal with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Portugal Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Portuguese company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Portugal Visa for Medical Purposes:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Portugal, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Portugal Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Portugal Visa for Members of Official Delegations:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Portugal Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Portugal Visa For The Wife/Husband of a Portuguese citizen:
- Proof of Portuguese citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Portuguese nationality or naturalization order)
- Portuguese marriage certificate
- Portuguese family record book
Portugal Airport Transit Visa:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Portugal Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Portuguese embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult with the Polish Embassy in your country for the updated Polish Visa requirements!
- Click here to Learn how to write a perfect Invitation letter for Visa Application
- Click here to Learn how to write a cover letter for Visa Application