Application for the HELSB Commonwealth Scholarships Tenable in the UK For Zambian Students – 2023/2024 Entry is now open selected Universities in UK.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Zambian nationals that meet the minimum requirements outlined here below to contest for Eighteen (18) Masters and Seventeen (17) PhD Commonwealth scholarships tenable in the United Kingdom for the 2023/2024 Academic Year.
The Higher Education Loans and Scholarships Board (HELSB) was established with an additional mandate of sourcing for funds, allocating and disbursing student loans to Zambians pursuing higher education in recognized institutions of higher learning. It also has the mandate to recover all mature loans disbursed since 2004.
HELSB COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP (CSC) ELIGIBILITY
- Candidates should be able to meet their own costs towards:
- Expenses to and from the Airport;
- Any costs not covered by the award.
- The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) will meet cost towards.
- Approved airfare from Zambia to the United Kingdom and return at the end of the award:
- Approved tuition fees;
- A stipend (living allowance) at the approved rate:
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable;
- Thesis grant towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation, where applicable;
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas.
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Zambian:
- Be permanently resident in Zambia:
- Be available to start your studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2023;
- Hold a relevant postgraduate degree;
- Not be registered for a PhD. or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2023;
- Not have commenced and be currently registered for a PhD. or an MPhil leading to a PhD, in Zambia or elsewhere;
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
- Candidates will be required to submit two references.
- Candidates must provide one supporting statement from a named supervisor from at least one of the UK universities to which they are applying.
- Awards are no longer offered to complete Ph D study already underway in the UK.
- Candidates are expected to state at least one and are strongly advised to propose three institutions of study on their application form. The final decision on host institution.
- Candidates are expected to state at least one and are strongly advised to propose three institutions of study on their application form. The final decision on host institution will be made by the CSC. Candidates are strongly advised to submit independent applications directly to their preferred institutions in advance of their scholarship application. Where formal offers of admission have been obtained, these should be submitted together with the applications.
- Candidates must apply to U K universities which have part-funding agreements with the For a list of universities that have agreed to part-fund Commonwealth Scholarships.
- Full details of the CSC’s selection criteria are available on the website.
- All nominated candidates must apply to the CSC online application system by 1st November, 2022.
The scholarships are offered under six development themes and all candidates must apply under one of these themes:
- Science and technology for development;
- Strengthening health systems and capacity;
- Promoting global prosperity;
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance:
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises:
- Access, inclusion and opportunity.
HELSB COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP (CSC) APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The application will only be complete if the following documents are submitted;
- Letter of application responding to the advertisement, clearly stating the program of study, desired, age, day-time phone number for easy communication;
- Curriculum Vitae, certified photocopies of academic certificates, certified photocopies of applicant’s NRC, Birth Certificate and passport copies of pages 2 & 3
- A study plan or synopsis containing details of preferred course and how the intended course of study will enhance one’s contribution to Zambia’s development agenda (400 words for postgraduates on one face of an A4 page).
- It is a requirement by the host countries that all nominated candidates undergo a comprehensive medical examination, including HIV, TB and Hepatitis B
- Recommendation letters from their respective employers indicating that they would be granted leave to take up offers if selected.
Please note that applications will be graded on the following criteria:
- Academic merit of the applicant:
- Quality of research proposal and;
- Development impact of the research in the sector and in Zambia.
Remember to include active contact addresses including email addresses and phone numbers.
Applicants should submit their documents to the following address:
- The Chief Executive Officer
- Higher Education Loans and Scholarship Board
- P.O BOX 50464
- Lusaka, Zambia
OR kindly hand deliver to:
- Room 23 (Registry)
- Maxwell House, Annex Building
- Los Angeles, Boulevard
- Lusaka, Zambia
Completed applications and attachments must be sent on or before the deadline date for applications: 9th September 2022.