This Article contains information on the Bulgaria Visa Application and Immigration Requirements: 2019. Bulgaria is a land of mountains, hiking trails, ski resorts for the winter and beach resorts on the Black Sea. A blend of Western and Eastern cultures, it contains the second oldest occupied town in Europe and a relatively urban lifestyle. Frequented by Eastern European tourists, the West is only now discovering this beautiful country.
Yearly, many people travel to Bulgaria for numerous reasons either for tourism, business, study, visit or immigration. Depending on the purpose of the trip to Bulgaria, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for a Bulgaria visa, it is necessary to know the Bulgaria visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
Types of visas
- Visa A (for airport transit)
- Visa C (for a short stay for the purpose of transit or a planned stay)
- Visa D (for a long stay)
LIST OF DOCUMENTS FOR A BULGARIA VISA APPLICATION
The following documents are required for the Switzerland visa application:
- Download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity.
- A photocopy of the first page of the foreign travel document;
- A photocopy of the last Bulgarian and Schengen visas or visas for the UK and the US, if any
- A full color photograph 3,5 cm х 4,5 cm against light-colored background (the same holds for a child entered in the passport) – a full-face photo with clear, large enough face which takes up 70-80% of the photo; eyes must be red; the following is ineligible: photos with dark glasses; non-professional photos or cut out of amateur photos
- A medical insurance valid for the EU member states for the whole period of the trip, covering all costs for repatriation and for urgent medical care and emergency hospital treatment for the period of the stay indicated in the visa. The insurance amount cannot be less than 30 thousand euro
- Tickets (original and copy) or ticket booking conformation or financial means
- Copy of the technical passport of the car of the trip
- For under-aged children travelling without their parents or trustees the following documents shall be submitted:
- a copy of the birth certificate
- original and photocopy of a power of attorney notary certified by both parents/ trustees or by one parent trustee that they agree their child to travel unaccompanied by them.
The following persons are exempt from presenting proof for subsistence, accommodation and transportation:
- Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens;
- Persons applying for a visa for a long stay in view of gathering their families, in relation to a refugee status acquired or asylum in the Republic of Bulgaria – pursuant to a written decision of the State Agency for Refugees with the Council of Ministers
- Holders of service and diplomatic passports
The following persons are exempt from presenting an insurance policy:
- Members of the families or the households of European Union, European Economic Area and the Swiss Confederation citizens
- Holders of service and diplomatic passports
- Seamen who meet the criteria of Convention №108 of the International Labour Organization when submitting applications for short-stay visas with the purpose of transit
- Persons who can be deemed to be insured or can cover expenses in unforeseen circumstances due to their social or service status.
The following persons are exempt from fees for visa application processing
- Foreign citizens who as of the date of the visa application are under 6 years
- Members of Bulgarian and EU citizens’ families
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Bulgarian Visa application.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE MOST FREQUENT PURPOSES OF THE BULGARIA VISA APPLICATION
AIRPORT TRANSIT VISA (TYPE “A” VISA)
An airport transit visa is issued to a foreign holder of a regular foreign travel document or an equivalent document issued by a state as per Annex 1 of the Regulation on the Terms and Procedures for Issuing Visas and Determining the Visa Regime.
Documents to be submitted on applying for a type “A” visa
The following documents shall be submitted together with the application on applying for an airport transit visa:
- A regular foreign travel document;
- A photocopy of the pages the foreign travel document with the personal information and with the visas laid and/or a photocopy of the held permits for stay in the next states along the route as well as for the end destination state, if required.
- A recent colorful photograph (passport size)
- Flight booking Before the airport transit visa is issued, the ticket and a copy thereof are presented.
SHORT-STAY VISA (TYPE “C”)
On applying for a short-stay visa the applicant shall present the following documents:
- A regular foreign travel document;
- a photocopy of the pages of the foreign travel document with the personal information and the visas laid and/or a photocopy of the permits for stay possessed;
- A recent colorful photograph – passport size;
- Documents substantiating the visa request as well as copies thereof;
- proof of the possession of the required financial resources for subsistence amounting to a minimum of EUR 50 per day of the stay requested with the visa application or their equivalent in another convertible currency but at least EUR 500 or their equivalent in another convertible currency, or a document of prepaid tourist services;
- documents certifying the possession of the required financial resources for accommodation but at least EUR 50 per day of the stay requested with the visa application or their equivalent in another convertible currency, or a document for prepaid accommodation in a tourist accommodation facility, or an invitation-declaration by a Bulgarian natural or legal person with which it undertakes to cover all occurring costs for the period of stay of the foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- documents certifying the possession of the required financial resources to leave the country or a ticket, and if the person has entered the country by self driven motor vehicle – resources amounting to at least EUR 100 or their equivalent in another convertible currency;
- an insurance policy and a copy thereof issued by an insurance company licensed to operate on the territory of the European Union with a minimum amount of the cover EUR 30 000. The policy should cover all expenses for repatriation as well as for emergency medical aid and hospital treatment for the period of the stay.
- Applicants for multiple visa for a short-stay shall present an insurance policy only for the period of the first intended visit.
LONG-STAY VISA (TYPE “D” VISA)
When applying for the issue of a long-stay visa the applicant shall present the following documents:
- Visa application form
- A regular foreign travel document
- Copies of the pages of the foreign travel document with the personal information and the visas laid and/or copies of the permits for stay possessed
- Recent passport-size color photograph
- Original documents and two copies thereof substantiating the application for a long stay visa under the Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act and the Regulation on its implementation, and of the financial resources possessed for subsistence and accommodation.
- In order to obtain long-stay permission the person should have a home, obligatory health insurance, sufficient subsistence means, without resorting to the social assistance system, amounting to at least the minimum monthly wage or the minimum pension according to Bulgarian law for the period of stay.
*Note: When applying at the Bulgarian embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult the Bulgarian Embassy in your country for the updated Bulgarian Visa requirements!