Application for the Egerton University [email protected] Scholarships – 2021/2022 Entry is now open at the Egerton University and Gulu University in Kenya and Uganda respectively.
Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM; www.ruforum.org), a network of 129 universities in 38 African countries to Transform African Agricultural Universities (TAGDev) to meaningfully contribute to Africa’s growth and development. The aim of the partnership is to transform African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
Under this partnership, 110 undergraduate and 110 Masters Scholarships will be provided over a period of eight years. The scholarships target academically deserving yet economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities and those coming from conflict and post conflict areas of Africa. The scholarships are tenable at Egerton University in Kenya and Gulu University in Uganda.
Students enrolled under this scholarship program will receive comprehensive scholarships, leadership development, life skills support, entrepreneurship training and mentorship and exposure to community engagement. For the academic year 2021/2022, thirty (30) Master’s Scholarships are available, of which 50% will be for Kenya and Uganda nationals. Fifty percent (50%) of the scholarships will be awarded female applicants.
The Scholarships are one of the most prestigious scholarships in the world. The aim of the program is to create a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
[email protected] SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY
Scholars are selected on the following criteria:
- Be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota
- Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota
- Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming from conflict and post conflict areas.
- Be less than 30 years by the deadline of the application.
- The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the University of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University). Continuing students are NOT eligible.
- For admission into the two universities, one must have completed a relevant Bachelor Degree with a second class honours, upper division.
- Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrate commitment to leadership.
- Have commitment to working in agriculture, agricultural value chains and rural development.
- Have a strong commitment to community engagement and transformation.
Eligible Programmes of study
- Master of Science in Food Security and Community Nutrition
- Master of Science in Agri-enterprises Development
- Master of Science in Agribusiness Management
- Master of Science in Animal Nutrition
- Master of Science in Food Science
|Programme||Entry requirements||Number of slots|
|MSc. Food Security and Community Nutrition||Second Class Bachelor Degree in any of the following diciplines: Agriculture, Food Science and Technology, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Food and Agribusiness, Science (biological), Veterinary Medicine, Medical degree or their equivalent qualifications from a recognised University.||8|
|MSc. Agrienterprises Development||Second Class Bachelor Degree in any of the following diciplines: Agriculture,
Agribusiness, Entrepreneurship, Statistics, Quantitative Economics, Veterinary Medicine, Food Science and Business Administration from a recognised institution.
|MSc. Agribusiness Management||Second Class Upper Division in Agribusiness Management, Agricultural Economics or any other agricultural related course from Egerton University or any other University recognized by Egerton University Senate.||5|
|MSc. Animal Nutrition||Second Class Upper Division in Animal Science, Agriculture, Range Management, Veterinary Medicine or any other agricultural related course from Egerton University or any other University recognized by Egerton University Senate||5|
|MSc. Food Science||Second Class Upper Division in Food Science or any other agricultural related course from Egerton University or any other University recognized by Egerton University Senate||5|
[email protected] SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Applicants shall only apply to one university of choice. For admission to Gulu University, applicants must fill and submit the application form online. For admission to Egerton University, interested applicants can download the admission forms from the university or RUFORUM websites (http://www.ruforum.org/MCF/)
Application forms for the scholarship can be downloaded from the following websites: RUFORUM (http://www.ruforum.org/MCF/); Gulu University website http://www.gu.ac.ug and Egerton University (http://www.egerton.ac.ke). Applicants are encouraged to carefully study the application guidelines and provide all the required information and documents prior to submitting the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Females are particularly encouraged to apply.
Note to applicants
- Applicants are advised to submit ALL the documents as guided in the application form for university admission
- Applicants to Gulu University with qualifications from countries other than Uganda must submit copies of equated academic documents from Uganda National Examinations Board and/or National Council for Higher Education.
- Those applying to Egerton University must attach to the admission application form a passport size photo, Copy of National ID/ Passport, Curriculum Vitae, Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts; Academic certificates and transcripts must be certified by the institution that issued them.
- Applicants must submit both the scholarship application form and the university admission application form at the same time.
- Successful international applicants will also be required to have police clearance certificate (Certificate of good conduct) prior to commencement of their studies
Applications can be submitted in hard copy or by email attachment to program coordinators in the University of choice. Applications (PDF) by email attachment should not be more than 5 MB and two file attachment (university admission form and scholarship application form).
The deadline to apply for the [email protected] Scholarships is 31st March 2021 at 17:00 Hours (GMT+3).