This Article contains information on the Austria Visa Application and Immigration Requirements: 2019. Austria is a German-speaking country in Central Europe, characterized by mountain villages, baroque architecture, Imperial history and rugged Alpine terrain. Vienna, its Danube River capital, is home to the Schönbrunn and Hofburg palaces.
Yearly, many people travel to Austria for numerous reasons either for tourism, business, study, visit or immigration. Depending on the purpose of the trip to Austria, there are different types of visas that apply to the occasion.
So before applying for a Austria Schengen visa, it is necessary to know the Austria Schengen visa requirements and which of the visa category that you are eligible for.
LIST OF DOCUMENTS FOR AN AUSTRIA VISA APPLICATION
The following documents are required for any short-term Austrian visa application:
- Download the Austrian visa application form. Fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Attach 2 photos; The photos should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel health insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Austria and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Austria and itinerary
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Austria
- Hotel reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Austria
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Austria
If you are employed, the following documents will be required;
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
If you are self-employed or running a business, you will need to provide the following documents;
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
If you are a student applying for the Austria student visa, you will need to provide the following documents;
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
If you are a retiree, you will need to provide the following documents;
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Apart from the general documentation required, accompanying should be other additional documents depending on the purpose of your Austrian Visa application.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE MOST FREQUENT PURPOSES OF THE AUSTRIAN VISA APPLICATION
Austrian Tourist/Visitor Visa:
This visa is meant for those looking to visit Austria for less than 90 days for leisure or tourism purposes. According to Austria visa requirements, the following documents are required to be submitted especially for a tourist visa application to the embassy:
- Invitation letter from your family or friends in Austria with the address and phone number – if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Passport copies
Austrian Schengen Visa for Business Purposes
This visa is for those who are planning to visit Austria for a temporary work-related purposes. However, do keep in mind that this does not grant the applicant to take up new employment in Austria or any other Schengen country. The documents required for applying for a business visa are:
- Invitation letter from the Austrian company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit
- A certificate from your employer stating/allowing your business travel
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided
- Business bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
Austria Visa for Medical Purposes
A lot of people travel to Austria and certain other countries to seek better medical treatment or specialized treatment for a disease that cannot be treated in their own country. For this purpose, the Austria visa requirements are the following:
- A local medical report
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Austria, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation
- Payment receipt of medical fees
Austrian Schengen Visa for Cultural, Sports, Film Crew or Religious Purposes
This is a special visa given to applicants who want to travel to Austria to participate in cultural or sporting events. In addition to that, this visa also grants permission to a film crew to shoot a film in Austria. Documents required to be submitted to fulfill Austria visa requirements for this category are:
- Invitation letter from the above-mentioned authorities with details upon the nature of events or activities – purpose of visit , expense coverage
- Names of the applicants (crew members)
- Duration of stay
- Travel itinerary
Austrian Schengen Visa for Members of Official Delegations
If the purpose of your travel is to attend intergovernmental meetings, consultations, negotiations or events, this is the visa you will need. The following documents will have to be shown to the embassy in order to be eligible for this visa:
- The official invitation copy
- Identity of applicant
- Purpose of journey (negotiations, meetings, event by intergovernmental organizations, consultations)
- Duration of stay
- Place of accommodation
Austrian Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or other type of Internship Purposes
This category of visas is required only for applicants who intend to study in a Austrian institution, conduct research or even undergo some kind of educational training and internship for less than 6 months. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses
- Certificate of completion or courses attended
- Financial sustenance
Austrian Schengen Visa For The Wife/Husband of an Austrian citizen
This visa is for people whose spouses are from Austria. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Proof of Austrian citizenship (ID card or consular card or certification of Austrian nationality or naturalization order)
- Austrian marriage certificate
- Austrian family record book
Austrian Airport Transit Visa
As per Austria visa requirements, a transit visa is required if you foresee a layover of a few hours in Austria before heading to your destination. The documents required to be eligible for this visa are the following:
- Visa or other type of entry permit in the transit country
- Copy of your valid visa for your final destination
Austrian Schengen Visa for Under-Age Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
*Note: When applying at the Austrian embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Please consult the Austrian Embassy in your country for the updated Austria Visa requirements!
- Click here to Learn how to write a perfect Invitation letter for Visa Application
- Click here to Learn how to write a cover letter for Visa Application