This article contains everything you need to know about how to be a Traffic Police in terms of qualification and requirements in 2021.
Ordinarily, one would think that anybody could become a traffic police without much demand but the reverse is always the case as there are a lot that is required.
Traffic police see to the enforcement of the rules of the road and signs. They ensure that all road users including leg users use the roads in an orderly and safe manner. However, the main duty of Traffic police is to ensure the safe and free flow of traffic to inorder prevent road accidents and deaths.
Due to the demanding and sometimes risky nature of the profession, in order to become a traffic police, one must be able to meet certain requirements to ascertain your fitness for the task and all the job entails.
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOMING A TRAFFIC OFFICER
Thus, to become a traffic police, below are the requirements:
A traffic officer should:
- have a friendly and sympathetic approach to people experiencing difficulties;
- be physically fit and have stamina;
- be ready to assist where necessary;
- have a reasonable knowledge of human nature;
- maintain sound judgement
- be firm and decisive when required;
- present a neat appearance;
- be well-spoken.
- know how to use radios, handcuffs, service revolvers and
CAREER QUALIFICATIONS OF A TRAFFIC OFFICER
To become a traffic police in South Africa, there is no special qualification required. However, there are basic qualifications that will make an applicant standout during recruitment.
- Have a Degree: Having a high school diploma, college courses or a degree may be required but some departments may want potential recruits who have a minimum amount of degree/ college-level courses. You may wish to study courses in line with Criminal justice, law enforcement or related subjects. Criminal justice is one area of study that may be very essential in this field. This program is widely offered at colleges, universities and community colleges. However, you can study Traffic Management related courses at any FET College or Universities. These courses will certainly give you an advantage when Authorities advertise Traffic Officers vacancies. As an applicant you must have Grade 12 or equivalent. Also, learning a foreign language is a plus.
- No criminal record: Also, in order to qualify as an applicant, you must not have a criminal record or whatsoever.
- Code B driving Licence is required
- Medical Certificate: This is required to ascertain the fitness of applicants as there may be strenuous exercises in the cause of the job.
- The applicant must not be older than 35 years of age
- Applicants must be employed by a Local or Provincial Authority
- Training Program: Completion of academy training program is also a prerequisite. Physical training is very important for recruits. They might consider starting their own physical training before they begin the academy. On the other hand, some agencies offer training programs that can prepare applicants for physical assessment tests. These courses may give you an advantage, should authorities or municipalities advertise traffic-related posts.
WHERE DO I TRAIN AS A TRAFFIC OFFICER?
Upon your employment as a Traffic Officer/ Traffic Trainee, you will be sent to one of the 14 Traffic Colleges approved by the Minister of Transport for an advanced training. Only the following Traffic Colleges and Metro Police Academies may currently train Traffic Officers in South Africa.
- Limpopo Traffic Training College,Polokwane – Limpopo.
- Cape Town Metro Police Department Academy, Cape Town – Western Cape
- Boekenhoutkloof Traffic Training College, Pretoria – Gauteng
- Durban Metro Police Department Academy, Durban – KZN
- Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department Academy, Springs – Gauteng.
- Johannesburg Metro Police Department Academy, Johannesburg – Gauteng.
- Gene Louw Traffic Training College, Cape Town – Western Cape.
- KZN Traffic Training College, Pietermaritzburg – KZN.
- Lengau Traffic Training College, Bloemfontein – Free State
- Mangaung Traffic Training College, Bloemfontein – Free State
- Tshwane Metro Police Department Academy, Pretoria – Gauteng
- Matjhabeng Traffic Training College, Welkom – Free State
- Mpumalanga Traffic Training College, Hazyview – Mpumalanga.
- Port Elizabeth Traffic Training College, Port Elizabeth – Eastern Cape.
Currently, only these colleges are qualified to issue a diploma with which a person can be registered as a traffic officer. So, beware of any non-approved training service providers, who offer basic training in traffic or traffic-related aspects.
If you desire to make a significant impact in reducing the number of accidents and deaths on South African roads, then this may just be the career for you. Keep an eye on the RMTC website or notices in reputable sites but before you apply ensure you know the requirements and have the necessary qualifications in order to be recruited.
The basic requirements and qualifications have been stated in this article.
- What to do with a Diploma in Law >>>
- List of Top Careers in Life Science and Geography
- NQF Levels: Everything You need to Know
- TVET Colleges: Courses and Requirements
- Top 10 Learnership Programs in South Africa
- Top 18 Careers in Humanities
- How to Become an Insurance Broker In South Africa
- List of 13 Highest Paying Jobs in Nigeria
- Cost of Studying MBA in South Africa
- How to Answer “Why Should We Hire You?
- 8 Common Job Interview Questions and Answers
- How to Become a Police Officer in South Africa
- How to Become a Successful Business Manager
- How to Become a Nurse In South Africa
- How to Become a Successful Business Owner
- Steps on How to Become a Biochemist
- What You Can do With a Banking and Finance Degree
- How to Become A Successful Real Estate Agent
- How to Become a Lecturer in South Africa
- How To Become An Investment Banker
- 11 Things You Can Do With a Geophysics Degree
- Top Professions That Needs Certification
- 10 Things to do With a Biomedical Degree
- What You Can do With an Architecture Degree
- What You Can do As a Geologist
- What To Do With A Sociology Degree
- Career Tips for School Leavers
- Steps on Preparing for Life After School
- What Can I do With an Arabic Studies Degree?
- What Can I do as An Agricultural Engineer
- What Can I do With an Anatomy Degree?
- What You Can Do With a Computer Science Degree
- What to do With a Degree in Adult Education
- What Can I Do With An Actuarial Degree?
- What Can I Do With a Biology Degree?
- What Can I Do With a Psychology Degree?
- What To Do With A 2.2 (Second Class Lower) Degree
- Gaining Knowledge through the Current Crisis
- Things You Must Do To Get Ready To Work at the Office Again
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in the World
- How to Become A Medical Doctor in the USA
- What to do with a Mass Communication Degree
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on Follow @Eafinder OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.