The application for the Makerere University (MAK) PhD scholarships in Social Sciences for the academic year 2022/2023 is now open by the Makerere University for all Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania students in Uganda.
The Makerere University (MAK) hereby invites all outstanding students to apply for the MAK PhD scholarships in Social Sciences. It is meant for students that intend to, or are currently studying towards degree and diploma programmes that are aligned to the following listed below:
- Tertiary institution programmes
The Scholarship is part of a 6- year project on ‘Building Resilient Communities through Inclusive Education in Eastern Africa’, funded by the Norwegian Development Agency through the Norwegian Programme for Capacity Development in Higher Education and Research for Development (NORHED) and implemented by the Department of Social Work, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHUSS) in partnership with University of Agder in Norway, University of Rwanda and Institute of Social Work in Tanzania. The objective of the scholarship is to enable academically qualified individuals from vulnerable and marginalised groups and communities that would not afford postgraduate education without support, to attain such an education.
The MAK PhD scholarships in Social Sciences programme assists by supporting financially deserving students with great academic potential to take their first steps in achieving their dreams and obtaining their PhD degree. MAK PhD scholarships in Social Sciences programme aims to fund academically deserving students who do not have the financial means to study full-time towards an doctorate degree.
MAK PHD SCHOLARSHIPS IN SOCIAL SCIENCES APPLICATION ELIGIBILITY
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or other related Social Science discipline (Social Work, Sociology, Anthropology, Development studies, Psychology or related discipline), from a chartered institution, with a Minimum of an Upper Second Class or its equivalent. For students applying from Rwanda and Tanzania, their academic qualifications will have to undergo a certification process from the Uganda National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
- A Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or Development Management
- Preference will be given to persons from marginalized background or disadvantaged groups due to gender, and socio-economic status. Female applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
- The proposal’s relevance to the call: Candidates should present proposals addressing the specific research focus for the country they are applying from.
- Teaching and/or research experience is considered essential
- Applicants for the fellowship must show commitment to pursuing the programmes within the stipulated timeframe on full time basis.
- Applicants must be citizens and residents of Uganda, Tanzania or Rwanda at the time of the application and ready to stay and work in their home country upon completion of their studies.
- Should have at least three years’ working experience in the social development sector or public service.
- Should be below 40 years of age at the time of applying.
- Must be ready to take on fulltime studentship at Makerere University and also be willing to spend one semester (5 months) at the University of Agder, Norway.
- Should not hold any other scholarship for an academic programme at Makerere University or any other university and has not received a scholarship for an equivalent programme in the past.
- Should demonstrate specific interest in pursuing a career in social work/social development.
- The selection criteria will aim at gender balance and give priority to the gender category that is considered underrepresented in post graduate programme in the host country.
- Persons with Disabilities and individuals from ethnic minority and marginalised communities are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible candidates will be evaluated by an international committee, comprising of representatives from the four participating Universities.
- The scholarship will be limited to tuition, functional fees, an allowance for field-based research, and a modest stipend for the stipulated period of study (3 years).
- Six (6) PhD scholarships are available in this call (2 for Rwanda, 2 for Tanzania and 2 for Uganda).
- The award covers only 3 years specified for the PhD program. Students are encouraged to complete their studies within this timeframe
- Progress reports will be required occasionally to justify further funding. Poor progress may automatically lead to cancellation of the scholarship.
- Failure to complete studies and graduate within the stipulated programme period without sound reason (unrelated to illness or other such compassionate conditions) will lead to automatic cancellation of the scholarship and under certain circumstances, a refund may be demanded.
- The student should be willing to take part in field excursions and other activities organised by the project.
- Payments of tuition and functional fees will be made directly to the University and stipend to the student’s bank account.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MAK PHD SCHOLARSHIPS IN SOCIAL SCIENCES
The application shall include a fully completed on-line application as specified in the University Call for Applications (specified on the application portal).
In addition to the application for admission, for the scholarship application, applicants must also submit a 6-page (in single space) research synopsis covering the: Title of the Study; Study Background, Problem Statement; key research question, study objectives, Significance/rationale for the study; theoretical perspective, methodology and a literature review (not more than three pages) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
This should come from the priority research area for each country as stipulated in the proceeding section. In addition, applicants should submit a curriculum vitae showing academic qualifications, work experience and any other relevant information; letter of motivation and justification for the scholars hip award based on the specified criteria (Max. 1000 words); At least two letters of recommendation from 1. an academic referee and 2. Professional (e.g. current employer) referee; Photocopies of Certified Academic Documents including Undergraduate, ‘0’ and ‘A’ level Certificates and a copy of the applicant’s Birth Certificate and National Identity Card.
- Visit the Makerere URL https://admissions.mak.ac.ug and (PRN) by following the guide below.
- Sign up using full name, e-mail and Mobile No. Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid.
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily
- To fill a form the applicant clicks on the APPLY NOW button displayed on the appropriate scheme i.e. Postgraduate and Taught PhD or PhD Research
- Obtain a payment advice slip by clicking on “Pay for Form” button and generate a Payment Reference Number. Make a payment
at any of the following Banks:
(b) Post Bank
(c) Centenary Bank
(d) DFCU Bank
(e) UBA Bank
For foreign applicants, application fees can be transferred either by EFT or any other means in UGX to a designated URA collection account in Bank of Uganda as follows:
• Account Name: UGANDA REVENUE AUTHORITY COLLECTIONS
• Account No: 003410158000002
• Swift Code: UGBAUGKAU
- Print 2 copies of the fi lled biodata form and attach 2 certified copies of your academic documents, 2 copies of all other relevant academic documents, 2 passport photos and the three referees’ letters of recommendation.
- Submit in office No. 307; level 3 Senate Building Or email scanned copies of the mentioned application documents to email@example.com copied to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS
- Applicants are to submit their applications before/on Tuesday August 31st, 2021.
- How to Apply for the SAMRC RCDI-nested Postdoc Fellowship >>>
- How to Apply for the CETA Bursary >>>
- How to Apply for the Unisa Honours Bursary >>>
- How to Apply for the GrandWest Bursary >>>
- How to Apply for the UWC Financial Aid
- How to Apply for the FoodBev SETA Research and Innovation Bursary >>>
- How to Apply for the DAC Bursaries for Heritage-related Studies >>>
- How to Apply for the Multichoice Bursary >>>
- How to Apply to the University of Nairobi Research and Innovation Fellowship >>>
- How to Apply for the NRF Postgraduate Scholarships >>>
- How to Apply for the Vaal University NDT Level Certification Bursary >>>
- How to Apply for the GCRA Bursary >>>