This article gives you an insight on the Eight (8) best method or approach in looking For A Job in 2022.
When I was a final year student, I was so excited about the fact that I was few steps away from the labour market. I was almost certain about securing a befitting job upon graduation. After all, all I needed to do was submit my catchy CV to various organizations and I will land myself the job. That was what I thought. Little did it occur to me that there are numerous means that hastens ones chances of getting a job.
With millions of new graduates entering the labor force each year, the question “How do I find a job?” is on a lot of minds.
Of course, the process of finding a job is different for each one of us and a lot depends on the industry too.
It’s clear that technology is playing a huge part in shaping trends in terms of recruitment, which is leading job searchers online. This means that strategies like finding jobs through Social Media platforms are increasing on a daily basis. Of course, it cannot be disputed that the old-fashioned in-person networking remains a valuable strategy to job searchers as well.
However, whether you are looking for your first job after graduating from school or you’re looking to change companies or progress in your career, it is important to know how to look for a job. Although finding a new job might seem challenging, there are many different methods to find one effectively and efficiently. In this article, we will be considering the best method and approach in looking for a job.
BEST APPROACH/METHODS IN LOOKING FOR A JOB IN 2022
Below are the best methods in looking for a job:
- Ask your network for referrals.
- Networking events
- Contact companies directly.
- Use job search platforms.
- Checking companies website
- Go to job fairs
- Leverage social media.
- Signup with a legit recruitment agencies.
1. ASK YOUR NETWORK FOR REFERRALS
This is one effective method of looking for a job. Connection makes the world go round.
Since I graduated from the University, this has been my number one approach to searching for a job. I may not have secured my dream job but this method has landed me a few deals.
So, if you are looking for a job, you should tell all your contacts to enable them to help you with job contacts. Networking is an effective way of finding a job, and employers prefer receiving a referral from a trusted member of their staff. Many jobs are filled internally from referrals before they are even advertised, so it’s important to talk to the right people in order to get as many referrals from within your network as you can.
This is why you need to know each person in your circle and what they are capable of and determine which individuals might know about available positions in your industry. Then, you reach out to those people.
Aim to build close relationships with the people in your network. This will always make them think of you first when they hear of job openings. Some jobs can be filled rapidly, so you want to make sure that you strategically network with influential people whenever possible. So, build a strong network of people of like minds. The aim is to position you to get job referrals.
2. NETWORKING EVENTS
What did they tell you about social gatherings? Were you told it’s a place of fun and merriment alone? If this is what you think it is, then think twice.
Whenever you can, try as much as possible to attend specific networking events in your industry and beyond. Events such as conferences, expositions, corporate dinner parties are ideal places to meet others who can help in your job search. Ensure to prepare appropriately for these events by having copies of your resume available and handy. You can’t afford to be stuttering when it’s demanded.
The fact is that many job opportunities aren’t posted on a company website. Sometimes a company will ask staff to refer people if there is an urgent need to fill a role. The only way you can be considered for such roles is if you find a way to connect with someone in the company. Perhaps you’ll know them directly or you’ll connect through mutual contacts.
3. COMPANY’S WEBSITE
As a fresh graduate, I had a lot of company’s websites I was monitoring on a daily basis for job postings. A lot of job seekers have secured a job through this means.
Some people have a set of ideal companies in mind for which they would like to work. Targeting specific companies is actually a very popular job search strategy. And it can be effective if you approach it the proper way.
For better results, you can sign up to be receiving daily job notifications from these companies vain email.
4. CONTACT COMPANIES DIRECTLY
Job searches are much more straightforward now that most companies have websites that you can target directly. You will be able to apply directly for available positions listed through their website.
This is usually the norm but where a company you are interested in doesn’t have any relevant jobs posted on their website, you can also reach out to them via email or phone to ascertain if they are looking to employ someone with your qualifications and experience.
Before you do this, research about the company and identify a specific individual to contact if they have not discouraged phone calls.
Whether it is a personal phone call or in-person visit, speaking with Human Resources at your desired organization can be effective. Doing this is also an advantage to the recruiter in some cases. This is because the recruitment process costs a considerable amount of money, so if an employer hears from a suitable candidate directly before posting a job, they might favor employing you rather than spending time and money searching for other candidates.
Also, if a company is experiencing rapid growth, they may be particularly open to hearing from qualified people, even if they have not advertised a position. This applies to start-up companies that have not yet fully considered their staffing needs.
So, think carefully and figure out what you want to say to each company, and consider writing a formal cover letter to convey that you are familiar with them and to explain why you would be a perfect fit.
5. USE JOB SEARCH PLATFORMS
Job search platforms are great because they allow you to filter out job search results that do not apply to you, while also allowing you to set up custom job search alerts to notify you when a job is posted that meet your criteria.
If you want to apply for a large number of jobs quickly and efficiently, use job search platforms to hasten your search. Most top job search engines will allow you to search jobs by location, salary and keywords.
Online search will also lead you to platforms like ZipRecruiter and Glassdoor, which are job-specific content aggregators. These sites pull together relevant job ads from across the web based on your search terms.
Before you start applying, ensure that your resume and cover letter are updated.
6. GO TO JOB FAIRS
A job fair is a special event that aims to get companies and potential employees together to network and share information. These events are frequented by big companies that are looking to recruit large numbers of employees as well as fresh graduates for training programs. You will find organizations of all sizes, recruiters and possibly even colleges and universities at these events.
Job fairs are a great opportunity to network and distribute your resume to potential employers. It’s a good idea to research an upcoming fair ahead of time to find out which companies will be attending so that when you talk to their recruiters, you will make a good and knowledgeable impression in all ramifications, dressing inclusive. Depending on the type of job you are applying for, you may also need to take samples of your work, a portfolio and/or references from past employers alongside your CV.
In the week following the job fair, be sure to follow up with the people you connected with. Even if you have decided that the company is not for you, it is wise to thank the individual and add them to your network. You never know when a contact will be useful in your future job hunt.
7. USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Social media is another world on its own, filled with numerous opportunities for those intentional in this space. So, in searching for a job, social media can be utilized effectively.
There are many different social media platforms you can use to search for jobs and interact with companies of your choice. You can search for company pages on sites like Facebook and Instagram, LinkedIn and follow them, no matter where they are in the world. By keeping up to date with a company’s social media pages, you can gain valuable insights, interests and working style. You can also comment on their posts and start to build a relationship with them. You may even hear about job openings they have through these channels.
If you are using social media for professional purposes, it’s important to make your own profiles suitable. They should convey a good image of you, even though you are using the platforms for personal rather than professional purposes. Use your real name and only publish appropriate pictures and posts.
If you are using this approach, it is a good idea to go back through content you’ve posted and make sure that everything you have on your profile is suitable for a potential employer to see. Ask yourself if your social media profiles show you and your lifestyle in an appropriate and professional way.
Build a brand consistently across all the platforms. You want people to know who you are, what you do and what your career plan is.
As a writer and one who is desiring for better job opportunities, I have consistently built a brand for myself across all my social media platforms. This wasn’t so in the past until the moment I became more exposed and intentional with my goals.
Building a professional brand has opened doors of opportunities for me, career wise. Social Media is however, a platform you should take seriously while searching for a job as it is an effective strategy and platform to use while searching for a job.
8. SIGN UP WITH RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Another way to look for a job is to sign up with recruitment agencies. Recruitment agencies regularly search for work on your behalf. This can of course lighten the burden a bit if you’re finding the job process particularly tiresome, and it can bag you a job quicker than expected.
Signing up with a staffing or recruitment agency may be worth considering if you want to find jobs more effectively without going through the normal job hunt processes. Most towns and states have several staffing agencies that you can register with. Some are industry-specific, and others deal with varieties of industries. You will likely need to provide a resume as well as copies of your certifications and qualifications, and in many cases you may need to sit for tests.
Some agencies may only deal with short-term and temporary contracts at first. You may not get the particular job you desire at first but if you gain temporary employment with a company and impress them with your work, it could lead to a permanent employment. It also gives you the chance to meet people who work in your dream industry, which can lead to other networking or referral opportunities.
A short-term contract can also provide you with further experience to find out if you are actually suited to the role. This is useful if you are not entirely certain what sort of job you want to do.
There’s no denying it, searching for a job really is a full-time job in itself and requires a lot of strategies. If you have searched for a job for years to no avail, and it feels like you’re going round the circles and getting nowhere with it, it is time to sit back, have and rethink and strategize.
In our dynamic job market, finding your dream job might require a combination of the all or some of the methods above. Being flexible in your approach and trying new techniques will help increase your chances of getting hired.
However, despite technical advances in recruiting, networking remains one of the most effective methods to learn about job opportunities, and it is as simple as talking with your friends and family.
During these conversations, share some information about your qualifications, desired position and preferred geographical area. Conclude by asking if they can identify anyone else that you should speak with or if they know of any job openings. Then, utilize your social media very well. People are watching and observing.
If you can meet the terms and conditions of recruitment agencies, you can opt for that avenue too. The aim is to get a benefitting job, so utilize every means available.
If you really desire to look for a job and succeed in it, it’s time to go all out and try a new approach. Enough of following the old trends because times are changing. Embrace change.
As you apply the approaches in this article, I wish you good luck in your job search.
- List of Careers in Demand in Kenya
- How to Become a Psychiatrist in USA
- Steps on How to Become a Safety Officer
- List of Top Careers in Demand in South Africa
- Top 15 Careers in Demand Worldwide
- List of Top 14 Careers in Commerce
- Online Jobs That Pay Through Mpesa
- List of Top Careers in Acting
- List of Top Careers in Diploma in Law and What to do with it >>>
- Traffic Police Qualification & Requirements in South Africa >>>
- List of Top Careers in Life Science and Geography
- Top 18 Careers in Humanities
- How to Become an Insurance Broker In South Africa
- List of 13 Highest Paying Jobs in Nigeria
- How to Answer “Why Should We Hire You?
- 8 Common Job Interview Questions and Answers
- How to Become a Police Officer in South Africa
- How to Become a Successful Business Manager
- How to Become a Nurse In South Africa
- How to Become a Successful Business Owner
- Steps on How to Become a Biochemist
- What You Can do With a Banking and Finance Degree
- How to Become A Successful Real Estate Agent
- How to Become a Lecturer in South Africa
- How To Become An Investment Banker
- 11 Things You Can Do With a Geophysics Degree
- Top Professions That Needs Certification
- 10 Things to do With a Biomedical Degree
- What You Can do With an Architecture Degree
- What You Can do As a Geologist
- What To Do With A Sociology Degree
- Career Tips for School Leavers
- Steps on Preparing for Life After School
- What Can I do With an Arabic Studies Degree?
- What Can I do as An Agricultural Engineer
- What Can I do With an Anatomy Degree?
- What You Can Do With a Computer Science Degree
- What to do With a Degree in Adult Education
- What Can I Do With An Actuarial Degree?
- What Can I Do With a Biology Degree?
- What Can I Do With a Psychology Degree?
- What To Do With A 2.2 (Second Class Lower) Degree
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in the World
- How to Become A Medical Doctor in the USA
- What to do with a Mass Communication Degree
- What to Do With Mathematics Degree
- What to Do With an Agricultural Economics Degree
- 10 Reasons why you Need a Professional Certificate
- What You Can Do With a Marketing Degree
- What to do With a Pass Degree
- 5 Alternative Careers for Librarians
- How to Write an Eye-catching Cover Letter for that Dream Job
- Ways to Make Money Fast As a Student or Graduate
- How to Write an Application Letter for a Job
- The Challenges of Working from Home
- How to Achieve What You Dream
- How to Write a Personal Statement for Internship
- How To Turn Your Hobby into a Career
- Salary Structure of Medical Doctors in Europe
- How to Write a Personal Statement for a Job
- How to Enjoy That Unfulfilling Job
- Common Challenges of Working in a Bank
- Factors to Consider When Writing Your CV
- Top 10 Highest Paying Banks in the USA
- Common Challenges of a Medical Profession
- Common Challenges of the Labour Market
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in the United States
- Common Challenges of a Graduate Trainee
- How to Make a Fortune from Bee Keeping
- Tips on How To Get the Best Out of a Boring Job
- 24 Career Advice That Can Guide You
- Why Your Resume Hasn’t Landed You an Interview
- Ways of Raising Capital for a Startup Business
- Top 14 Work from Home Paying Jobs
- Top 10 Profitable Things To Invest In
- Top 10 Careers You can Get Into Without Any Degree
- Top 10 Career Mistakes People Make
- How to Survive an Unpaid Internship
- How to Gather Job Experience While Schooling
- Easy Ways to Make Money from eBook
- How Setbacks are Necessary for Success
- How to Get a Job through Social Media
- Best Alternatives To Internship
- A Day in The Life of a Banker
- Qualities that Makes a Good Manager
- Top 20 Small Business Ideas to Start at the University
- 6 Things Business Owners Look For in a Graduate
- 10 Tips For Choosing A Career
- Steps on How to Become A Successful Student Entrepreneur
- 10 Proven Ways on How to be Employable in 2021
- 10 Reasons to Start a Business Before Graduation
- How to Become an Architect
- How to Become a Flight Attendant
- 5 Categories of People You will Find in the Workplace
- What Can I Do With a Psychology Degree
- What Can I Do With a Biology Degree
- How to Write a Successful Business Plan
- How to Improve Your Analytical Skills
- 10 Steps on How To Become a Chartered Accountant
- What To Do With A 3rd Class Degree