Home Student Portal How to Replace your Lost Certificates Through Umalusi

How to Replace your Lost Certificates Through Umalusi


We pleased to show you the steps on retrieving your lost certificates through Umalusi in 2023.

How to Replace your Lost Certificates Through Umalusi

Have you lost your Senior Certificate or National Senior Certificate issued post-September 1992? Stress not, for Umalusi, the institution responsible for certificate replacements, has got your back. This blog post aims to guide you through the comprehensive process of getting your lost or replacement certificate in a breeze. You can initiate the procedure directly through Umalusi’s portal. Visit here to start your application process.


The benefits of this service are clear: regain a vital piece of your academic credentials, essential for job applications, further studies, or personal record. The user-friendly Umalusi interface also allows you to track and manage your request, giving you peace of mind. Choose from a range of delivery methods, including collection from the Umalusi Pretoria Office or receiving the certificate via courier service, providing an additional layer of convenience.

See Also:  UJ eLearning Portal – How to Access

Eligibility to Replace your Lost Certificates

The replacement service is applicable for qualifications certified by Umalusi, which includes:

  • Adult Basic Education and Training Level 4 (AB4)
  • Amended Senior Certificate (ASC)
  • General and Further Education Certificate (GET)
  • Senior Certificate (Ended 2007) (G12)
  • National Senior Certificate (From 2008) (SSC)
  • National Certificate Vocational (Level 2 – 4) (NCV)
  • National Senior Certificate (NSC)

Please note that once a replacement certificate is issued, the previous certificate is invalidated.

Application Procedure

Follow these steps to replace your lost certificate:

Step 1: Register an account – Create an account on the Umalusi website to track and manage your request.

Step 2: Create a request – Select the qualification for which you’re applying for a replacement. Ensure you have the necessary documents:

  1. An affidavit – All applications for replacement of lost/damaged certificates should be accompanied by a signed affidavit from a police station stating the status of the original certificate e.g. stolen; lost in a move.
  2. A certified copy of the candidate’s identity document is required. (This copy must be certified by a commissioner of oaths. A copy can be made and certified either at a police station or at an attorney’s office where they should do it for free).
  3. Proof of payment of administration fees – An administration fee is payable with a request for a certificate. The fee payable can be established with the accredited assessment body. The fee is reviewed on an annual basis.
  4. An electronic request must be submitted to Umalusi by the Assessment Body after processing an application form. This request should be sent in a form of a dataset as stipulated by the Council.
Step 3: CollectionCollect your replacement certificate or receive certificate via courier service (Courier delivery method is availabe at an additional fee)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here